|Born on||11 July 1909 in Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, Europe|
|Deceased on||30 December 1999 in Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, Europe|
|Collaborator of||Gerd Lohmer|
|Place(s) of activity:|
|1927 - 1931||
Studies civil engineering at the Technical School (TH) in Stuttgart
|1932 - 1933||
Travels to the United States and Mexico
Works under Karl Schaechterle in the bridge construction division of the main office of the Reichsautobahn in Stuttgart, then in the Reichstransportation Ministry in Berlin;
|1938 - 1941||
Design and construction supervision of the Cologne-Rodenkirchen Bridge.
Opens own consulting engineering office in Munich.
|1948 - 1951||
Technical direction for the Cologne-Mulheim Bridge, first use of an orthotropic deck.
|1950 - 1957||
Cooperation with Schaechterle, Wintergerst, Grassl and Tamms on the design of the Düsseldorf cable-stayed bridges.
Patents mono-cable suspension bridge.
Professor at the TH Stuttgart.
Structures and Projects
Participation in the following structures & large-scale projects:
- Kochertal Viaduct - Leonhardt, Andrä und Partner
- Donautalbrücke Untermarchtal
- Gemünden High-Speed Rail Viaduct
- Heinrich Hertz Tower - Leonhardt, Andrä und Partner
- Kurt Schumacher Bridge - Leonhardt, Andrä und Partner
- Neckar Viaduct
- Stuttgart Television Tower
- Vaihingen Footbridge - Leonhardt, Andrä und Partner
- Deutzer Brücke
- Emmendingen Bridge
- Köln-Mülheimer Brücke
- Rodenkirchen Bridge
- Rodenkirchen Bridge
Biography from Wikipedia
Fritz Leonhardt (12 July 1909 – 30 December 1999) was a German structural engineer who made major contributions to 20th-century bridge engineering, especially in the development of cable-stayed bridges. His book Bridges: Aesthetics and Design is well known throughout the bridge engineering community.
Born in Stuttgart in 1909, Leonhardt studied at Stuttgart University and Purdue University. In 1934 he joined the German Highway Administration, working with Paul Bonatz amongst others. He was appointed at the remarkably young age of 28 as the Chief Engineer for the Cologne-Rodenkirchen Bridge.
In 1954 he formed the consulting firm Leonhardt und Andrä, and from 1958 to 1974 taught the design of reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete at Stuttgart University. He was President of the University from 1967 to 1969.
He received Honorary Doctorates from six universities, honorary membership of several important engineering universities, and won a number of prizes including the Werner von Siemens Ring, the Honorary Medal Emil Mörsch, the Freyssinet Medal of the FIP, and the Gold Medal of the Institution of Structural Engineers. In 1988, he was awarded an Honorary Degree (Doctor of Science) by the University of Bath.
Throughout his career, Leonhardt was as dedicated to research as to design, and his major contributions to bridge engineering technology included:
- development of a launching system for prestressed concrete bridges, first used in his 1963 bridge over the Caroní River in Ciudad Guayana, Venezuela
- the 'Hi-Am' anchor for cable stays, in collaboration with the Swiss firm B.B.R.V.
- anchorages in prestressed concrete
- experiments during the 1930s on steel orthotropic decks.
Fritz Leonhardt Prize
This prize was established in 1999 on the 90th anniversary of Leonhardt's birth, to recognise outstanding achievements in structural engineering. The first prize was awarded to Michel Virlogeux. Subsequent winners have included Jörg Schlaich (2002), René Walter (2005), and William F. Baker (engineer) (2009).
- Aerodynamisch stabile Hängebrücke für grosse Spannweiten. Presented at: Septième Congrès de l'AIPC = Seventh Congress of IABSE = Siebter Kongress der IVBH, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 10-16 August 1964. (1964):
- Aesthetics in structural engineering. Presented at: 11th IABSE Congress, Vienna, Austria, 31 August - 5 September 1980. (1980):
- Ästhetik im Ingenieurbau. Presented at: 11th IABSE Congress, Vienna, Austria, 31 August - 5 September 1980. (1980):
- 75 Jahre "Beton- und Stahlbetonbau" - Rückblick und Ausblick. In: Beton- und Stahlbetonbau, v. 71, n. 1 (January 1976), pp. 1-2. (1976):
- Aesthetics of Bridge Design. In: PCI Journal, v. 13, n. 1 (February 1968), pp. 14-31. (1968):
- 70 Jahre Ingenieurbüro Leonhardt, Andrä und Partner / 70 years engineering consultancy Leonhardt, Andrä und Partner. In: (): Fritz Leonhardt 1909-1999. Edition Axel Menges, Stuttgart (Germany), ISBN 978-936681-28-4, pp. 72-87. :
- Der Anteil von Fritz Leonhardt an der raschen Entwicklung des Betonbrückenbaus. In: Stahlbau, v. 68, n. 7 (July 1999), pp. 507-510. (1999):
- Arbeit auf Ehrenwort - Fritz Leonhardt und die Münchner Olympiadächer. In: Bautechnik, v. 76, n. 7 (July 1999), pp. 608-614. (1999):
- L'art de l'ingénieur. constructeur, entrepeneur, inventeur. Éditions du Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris (France), pp. 263. (1997):
- Der Bauingenieur. Geschichte eines Berufes. Verlag für Bauwesen, Berlin (Germany), pp. 222-3. (1994):
- About this
- Published on:
- Last updated on: