Italian engineer and entrepreneur.
|Name:||Pier Luigi Nervi|
|Born on||21 June 1891 in Sondrio, Sondrio, Lombardy, Italy, Europe|
|Deceased on||9 January 1979 in Rome, Roma, Lazio, Italy, Europe|
|Father of||Antonio Nervi, Mario Nervi, Vittorio Nervi|
|Place(s) of activity:|
Graduates from the engineering department at the University of Bologna with a degree in civil engineering. He then begins to work at the Società per le Costruzioni Cementizie in Bologna and Florence where he remains until 1923.
Founds his own construction firm, Nervi e Nebbiosi, in Rome.
|1926 - 1927||
Cinema 'Augusteo' in Naples
|1930 - 1932||
Municipal Stadium in Florence
|1932 - 1978||
Head and director at Nervi e Bartoli, an engineering and construction company.
Patent on construction of aircraft hangers from prefabricated reinforced concrete sections
Patent on vaults of 300 meter span constructed from prefabricated reinforced concrete sections
|1946 - 1962||
Professor at the School of Architecture of the University of Rome.
Honorary Doctorate from the University of Buenos Aires.
Honrary Member, American Institute of Architects.
Honorary Member, American Academy of Arts and Letters, New York.
Brown Medal, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia.
Corresponding Member, Academia Nactional de Ciencias Exactas, Fisicas y Naturales of Buenos Aires.
Royal Gold Medal, Royal Institute of British Architects.
|1960 - 1978||
Studio Nervi, an engineering consultancy where Nervi works with his sons Antonio, Mario and Vittorio.
Honorary Doctorate, University of Warsaw
Honorary Member, American Concrete Institute.
Honorary Member, AICAP Italian Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete Association.
Structures and Projects
Participation in the following structures & large-scale projects:
- Australia Square Tower
- George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal
- Priory of Saint Mary and Saint Louis
- Norfolk Scope Arena dome - Studio Nervi
- Artemio Franchi Municipal Stadium
- Burgo Paper Mill
- Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption
- Corso di Francia Viaduct
- Diving board of the Kursaal Hotel
- Italian Embassy
- Leverone Field House
- Little Sports Palace
- Mottagrill (Limena)
- Naples Central Station
- Opera Overpass
- Orbetello Hangars
- Palazzo del Lavoro
- Palazzo della Cassa di Risparmio di Venezia
- Papal Audience Hall
- Parco Acqua Santa - Salone Nervi dome
- Restaurant of the Kursaal Hotel
- Risorgimento Bridge
- Rupert C. Thompson Arena
- Savona Railway Station
- Stadio Olimpico
- Tour de la Bourse
- Turin Exhibition Hall C
- UNESCO Auditorium
- UNESCO Headquarters
- UNESCO Headquarters Main Building
- Via della Magliana 236-240
- Le stade "Flaminio" à Rome. In: La Technique des Travaux, v. 36, n. 1-2 (January 1960), pp. 33-44. (1960):
- Le hall du Palais des Expositions du Valentino, à Turin. In: La Technique des Travaux, v. 25, n. 9-10 (September 1949), pp. 272-278. (1949):
- Neue Strukturen. Verlag Gerd Hatje, Stuttgart (Germany). (1963):
- Structures. F.W. Dodge Corporation, New York (USA), pp. 118. (1956):
- Savoir construire. Editions du Linteau, Paris (France), pp. 188. (1997):
- Three Resilient Megastructures by Pier Luigi Nervi. In: International Journal of Architectural Heritage, v. 8, n. 1 (2 October 2013), pp. 49-73. (2013):
- Conserving Pier Luigi Nervi’s ferroconcrete. In: Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering History and Heritage, v. 169, n. 1 (February 2016), pp. 22-35. (2016):
- ‘ Laborious and difficult’: The evolution of Pier Luigi Nervi’s hangar roofs (1935–41). Presented at: 6th International Congress on Construction History (6ICCH 2018), July 9-13, 2018, Brussels, Belgium, pp. 229-234. (2018):
- Influences of the engineer Pier Luigi Nervi on the work of the architect Marcel Breuer. Presented at: 6th International Congress on Construction History (6ICCH 2018), July 9-13, 2018, Brussels, Belgium, pp. 417-424. (2018):
- Pier Luigi Nervi and Fiat. The expansion of Officine Mirafiori in Turin. Presented at: 6th International Congress on Construction History (6ICCH 2018), July 9-13, 2018, Brussels, Belgium, pp. 699-706. (2018):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update