Italian engineer and entrepreneur.
|Name:||Pier Luigi Nervi|
|Born on||21 June 1891 in Sondrio, Sondrio, Lombardy, Italy, Europe|
|Deceased on||9 January 1979 in Rome, Roma, Lazio, Italy, Europe|
|Father of||Antonio Nervi, Mario Nervi, Vittorio Nervi|
|Place(s) of activity:|
Graduates from the engineering department at the University of Bologna with a degree in civil engineering. He then begins to work at the Società per le Costruzioni Cementizie in Bologna and Florence where he remains until 1923.
Founds his own construction firm, Nervi e Nebbiosi, in Rome.
|1926 - 1927||
Cinema 'Augusteo' in Naples
|1930 - 1932||
Municipal Stadium in Florence
|1932 - 1978||
Head and director at Nervi e Bartoli, an engineering and construction company.
Patent on construction of aircraft hangers from prefabricated reinforced concrete sections
Patent on vaults of 300 meter span constructed from prefabricated reinforced concrete sections
|1946 - 1962||
Professor at the School of Architecture of the University of Rome.
Honorary Doctorate from the University of Buenos Aires.
Honrary Member, American Institute of Architects.
Honorary Member, American Academy of Arts and Letters, New York.
Brown Medal, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia.
Corresponding Member, Academia Nactional de Ciencias Exactas, Fisicas y Naturales of Buenos Aires.
Royal Gold Medal, Royal Institute of British Architects.
|1960 - 1978||
Studio Nervi, an engineering consultancy where Nervi works with his sons Antonio, Mario and Vittorio.
Honorary Doctorate, University of Warsaw
Honorary Member, American Concrete Institute.
Honorary Member, AICAP Italian Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete Association.
Structures and Projects
Participation in the following structures & large-scale projects:
- Australia Square Tower
- George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal
- Priory of Saint Mary and Saint Louis
- Norfolk Scope Arena dome - Studio Nervi
- Artemio Franchi Municipal Stadium
- Burgo Paper Mill
- Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption
- Corso di Francia Viaduct
- Diving board of the Kursaal Hotel
- Italian Embassy
- Leverone Field House
- Mottagrill (Limena)
- Naples Central Station
- Opera Overpass
- Orbetello Hangars
- Palazzetto dello Sport
- Palazzo del Lavoro
- Palazzo della Cassa di Risparmio di Venezia
- Papal Audience Hall
- Parco Acqua Santa - Salone Nervi dome
- Restaurant of the Kursaal Hotel
- Risorgimento Bridge
- Rupert C. Thompson Arena
- Savona Railway Station
- Tour de la Bourse
- Turin Exhibition Hall C
- UNESCO Auditorium
- UNESCO Headquarters
- UNESCO Headquarters Main Building
- Via della Magliana 236-240
Biography from Wikipedia
Pier Luigi Nervi (21 June 1891 – 9 January 1979) was an Italian engineer and architect. He studied at the University of Bologna graduating in 1913. Nervi taught as a professor of engineering at Rome University from 1946 to 1961 and is known worldwide as a structural engineer and architect and for his innovative use of reinforced concrete.
Pier Luigi Nervi was born in Sondrio and attended the Civil Engineering School of Bologna from which he graduated in 1913; his formal education was quite similar to that experienced today by Italian civil engineering students. After graduating he joined the Society for Concrete Construction and, during World War I from 1915 to 1918, he served in the Corps of Engineering of the Italian Army. From 1961 to 1962 he was the Norton professor at Harvard University.
Civil engineering works
Nervi began practicing civil engineering after 1923. His projects in the 1930s included several airplane hangars that were important for his development as an engineer. A set of hangars in Orvieto (1935) were built entirely out of reinforced concrete, and a second set in Orbetello and Torre del Lago (1939) improved the design by using a lighter roof, precast ribs, and a modular construction method.
During the 1940s he developed ideas for reinforced concrete which helped in the rebuilding of many buildings and factories throughout Western Europe, and even designed and created a boat hull that was made of reinforced concrete as a promotion for the Italian government.
Nervi also stressed that intuition should be used as much as mathematics in design, especially with thin shell structures. He borrowed from both Roman and Renaissance architecture while applying ribbing and vaulting to improve strength and eliminate columns. He combined simple geometry and prefabrication to innovate design solutions.
Engineer and architect
Pier Luigi Nervi was educated and practised as an ingegnere edile (translated as "building engineer") – in Italy. At the time (and to a lesser degree also today), a building engineer might also be considered an architect. After 1932, his aesthetically pleasing designs were used for major projects. This was due to the booming number of construction projects at the time which used concrete and steel in Europe and the architecture aspect took a step back to the potential of engineering. Nervi successfully made reinforced concrete the main structural material of the day. Nervi expounded his ideas on building in four books (see below) and many learned papers.
Archeological excavations suggested that he may have some responsibilities for the Flaminio stadium foundations passing through ancient Roman tombs.
Most of his built structures are in his native Italy, but he also worked on projects abroad. Nervi's first project in the United States was the George Washington Bridge Bus Station, for which he designed the roof, which consists of triangular pieces that were cast in place. This building is still used today by over 700 buses and their passengers.
- Stadio Artemio Franchi, Florence (1931)
- Ugolino Golf House, Impruneta, Italy (1934) (collaborating with Gherardo Bosio)
- Torino Esposizioni, Turin, Italy (1949).
- UNESCO headquarters, Paris (1950) (collaborating with Marcel Breuer and Bernard Zehrfuss)
- The Pirelli Tower, Milan (1950) (collaborating with Gio Ponti)
- Palazzo dello sport EUR (now PalaLottomatica), Rome (1956)
- Palazzetto dello sport, Rome (1958)
- Stadio Flaminio, Rome (1957)
- Palazzo del Lavoro [it], Turin (1961)
- Palazzetto dello sport, Turin (1961)
- Sacro Cuore (Bell Tower), Firenze (1962)
- Paper Mill, Mantua, Italy (1962)
- George Washington Bridge Bus Station, New York City (1963)
- Australia Square tower, Sydney (1964) Architect: Harry Seidler & Associates
- Tour de la Bourse, Montreal (1964) (collaborating with Luigi Moretti)
- Leverone Field House at Dartmouth College
- Sede Centrale della Banca del Monte di Parma, Parma (1968, collaboration with Giovanni Ponti, Antonio Fornaroli, and Alberto Rosselli)
- Edmund Barton Building (also published as Trade Group Offices), Canberra (1970), Australia. Architect Harry Seidler & Associates
- MLC Centre, Sydney (1973) Architect: Harry Seidler & Associates
- Thompson Arena at Dartmouth College (1973–74)
- Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption, San Francisco, California (1967) (collaborating with Pietro Belluschi)
- Paul VI Audience Hall, Vatican City (1971)
- Australian Embassy, Paris (1973) Consulting engineer. Architect. Harry Seidler & Associates
- Good Hope Centre, Cape Town (1976) by Studio Nervi, an exhibition hall and conference centre, with the exhibition hall comprising an arch with tie-beam on each of the four vertical facades and two diagonal arches supporting two intersecting barrel-like roofs which in turn were constructed from pre-cast concrete triangular coffers with in-situ concrete beams on the edges.
- Norfolk Scope, Norfolk, VA (1971)
Pier Luigi Nervi was awarded Gold Medals by the Institution of Structural Engineers in the UK, the American Institute of Architects (AIA Gold Medal 1964) and the RIBA.
In 1957, received the Frank P. Brown Medal of The Franklin Institute and the Wilhelm Exner Medal.
- Scienza o arte del costruire? Bussola, Rome, 1945.
- Costruire correttamente, Hoepli, Milan, 1954.
- Structures, Dodge, New York, 1958.
- Aesthetics and Technology in Building. Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard, 1966.
- (1960): Estadio Flaminio. Roma. In: Informes de la Construcción, v. 12, n. 120 (April 1960), pp. 65-70.
- (1965): Depósito elevado para la Fiat. In: Informes de la Construcción, v. 18, n. 172 (July 1965), pp. 79-86.
- (1965): Cubierta suspendida para una nave industrial, en Mantua (Italia). In: Informes de la Construcción, v. 18, n. 174 (October 1965), pp. 71-74.
- (1966): El estadio cubierto de Dartmouth, Estados Unidos. In: Informes de la Construcción, v. 19, n. 184 (October 1966), pp. 73-77.
- Le hall du Palais des Expositions du Valentino, à Turin. In: La Technique des Travaux, v. 25, n. 9-10 (September 1949), pp. 272-278. (1949):
- The Airplane Hangars of Pier Luigi Nervi: Digital and Scaled Models. In: Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, v. 61, n. 3 (September 2020), pp. 187-200. (2020):
- Architects + Engineers = Structures. Academy Editions, New York (USA), pp. 104. :
- L'art de l'ingénieur. constructeur, entrepeneur, inventeur. Éditions du Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris (France), pp. 329-330. (1997):
- Der Bauingenieur. Geschichte eines Berufes. Verlag für Bauwesen, Berlin (Germany), pp. 226. (1994):
- Building Techniques and Architectural Quality of Motorway Restaurants in Italy. The Case of Mottagrill by Pier Luigi Nervi and Melchiorre Bega. Presented at: Third International Congress on Construction History, Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus, Germany , 20th-24th May 2009. (2009):
- About this
- Published on:
- Last updated on: