|Name in local language:||Ganterbrücke|
|Beginning of works:||Summer 1976|
|Function / usage:||
Prestressed concrete bridge
Balanced cantilever method
Ried-Brig, Valais, Switzerland
|Coordinates:||46° 17' 47.81" N 8° 3' 1.99" E|
|main span||174 m|
|length of side spans||127 m|
|total length||678.00 m|
|span lengths||35.00 m - 50.00 m -127.00 m - 174.00 m - 127.00 m - 80.00 m - 50.00 m - 35.00 m|
|deck||deck depth||2.50 - 5.00 m|
|deck width||10.00 m|
|pylon P3||height||150 m|
|pylon height (above deck)||17.43 m|
Products, Services & Reports
Modular Expansion Joints can be constructed for any movements, from about 100 mm up to 2,000 mm and more. They allow movements in all 3 directions ...[more]
Excerpt from Wikipedia
Ganter Bridge is a reinforced concrete road bridge which is the longest spanning bridge in Switzerland, located along the Simplon Pass road in the canton of Valais about 10 km (6 mi) south of Brig. It was designed by renowned Swiss civil engineer Christian Menn and completed in 1980. The overall length is 678 m (2,224 ft) with a main span of 174 m (571 ft), and a maximum tower height of 150 m (492 ft).
The bridge's form consists of an S-curve high above the Ganter River, at an elevation of about 1,450 m (4,760 ft) above sea level. Two main towers and five smaller piers support a total of eight spans with lengths of 35 m (115 ft), 50 m (164 ft), 80 m (262 ft), 127 m (417 ft), 174 m (571 ft), 127 m (417 ft), 50 m (164 ft), and 35 m (115 ft). The longest span between the two towers is straight, while the remaining spans lie along curves with a radius of 200 m (656 ft).
Its unique design, combining elements of a cable-stayed bridge and a prestressed cantilever hollow-box girder bridge, with triangular concrete walls above the roadway which contain the prestressed cable-stays, has been awarded many prizes. This hybrid type of cable-stayed and girder bridge is sometimes referred to as an extradosed bridge.
- Christian Menn (designer)
Relevant Web Sites
- Advances in Ambient Vibration Testing: Ganter Bridge, Switzerland. In: Structural Engineering International, v. 6, n. 3 (August 1996), pp. 187-190. (1996):
- Christian Menn. Brückenbauer. Birkhäuser Verlag (Basel, Boston, Berlin), Basel (Switzerland), pp. 78-81. (1997):
- Christian Menn - Brücken / Bridges. Scheidegger & Spiess, Zurich (Switzerland), pp. 208-225. (2015):
- D'une rive à l'autre / Brücken dieser Welt (6). Le pont du Ganter / Die Ganterbrücke. television documentary, arte, ZDF.
- The Ganter Bridge, Simplon / VS. In: IABSE Structures, v. 3 ( 1979). (1979):
- About this
- Published on:
- Last updated on: