Tsing Ma Bridge
|Name in local language:||青馬大橋 (Qīngmǎ Dàqiáo)|
|Beginning of works:||1992|
|Completion:||22 May 1997|
|Function / usage:||
Railroad (railway) bridge
Motorway bridge / freeway bridge
Tsing Yi, Kwai Tsing, Hong Kong, China
Ma Wan, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong, China
|Coordinates:||22° 21' 13.66" N 114° 5' 0.99" E|
|Coordinates:||22° 20' 53.41" N 114° 3' 46.83" E|
|main span||1 377 m|
|total length||2 160 m|
|span lengths||63 m - 76.5 m - 355.5 m - 1 377 m - 355.5 m - 4 × 72 m|
|cables||number of cables||2|
|lower deck||number of tracks||2|
|number of lanes||2|
|upper deck||number of lanes||6|
|deck||structural steel||49 000 t|
Products, Services & Reports
Modular Expansion Joints can be constructed for any movements, from about 100 mm up to 2,000 mm and more. They allow movements in all 3 directions ...[more]
The Tsing Ma Bridge is one of the three long span bridges linking the New Territories in Hong Kong with the Island of Chep Lap Kok, where the territory's new airport is located. The other two bridges are the Kap Shui Mun Bridge and the Ting Kau Bridge.
65 000 tonnes of concrete were used in the construction of each tower (206 metres high). The saddle weight is 500 tonnes each.
The number of wires in the main span is 33 400 with a diameter of 5.38 mm per wire while the side spans have 35 224 each. The total wire length is 160 000 km with a weight of 26 700 tonnes. Each cable carries a load of 53 000 tonnes.
49 000 tonnes of structural steel were used in the construction of the deck, the equivalent weight of 22.7 tonnes per meter.
200 000 tonnes of concrete were used on the Tsing Yi side anchorages, 250 000 tonnes on the Ma Wan end.
The bridge was designed using 20 kN/m and per lane and a wind gust speed of 85 m/s.
The deflections of the bridge are 4.7 meters in the vertical; 1.3 meters due to temperature changes; 4.4 meters laterally due to wind. Longitudinal movement is at ±835 millimetres at the Tsing Yi abutment.
Traffic speeds on the bridge are 100 km/h for automobiles and 135 km/h for trains.
- Tony Gee and Partners LLP (temporary works)
- A. R. Rees (resident engineer)
- Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Co. Ltd. (superstructure)
- Gammon Construction Ltd
- Kvaerner AS
- Maurer Söhne GmbH & Co. KG
- VAE Aktiengesellschaft
- VSL International (piers)
Relevant Web Sites
- Fiber Bragg grating sensors for structural health monitoring of Tsing Ma bridge: Background and experimental observation. In: Engineering Structures, v. 28, n. 5 (April 2006), pp. 648-659. (2006):
- Evaluation of typhoon induced fatigue damage for Tsing Ma Bridge. In: Engineering Structures, v. 24, n. 8 (August 2002), pp. 1035-1047. (2002):
- Modal analysis of tower-cable system of Tsing Ma long suspension bridge. In: Engineering Structures, v. 19, n. 10 (October 1997), pp. 857-867. (1997):
- SHM-based F-AHP bridge rating system with application to Tsing Ma Bridge. In: Frontiers of Architecture and Civil Engineering in China, v. 5, n. 4 (16 November 2011), pp. 465-478. (2011):
- An aerodynamic investigation for the suspended structure of the proposed Tsing Ma bridge. In: Engineering Structures, v. 7, n. 1 (January 1985), pp. 23-34. (1985):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update