Tsing Ma Bridge
|Name in local language:||青馬大橋 (Qīngmǎ Dàqiáo)|
|Beginning of works:||1992|
|Completion:||22 May 1997|
|Function / usage:||
Railroad (railway) bridge
Motorway bridge / freeway bridge
Tsing Yi, Kwai Tsing, Hong Kong, China
Ma Wan, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong, China
|Coordinates:||22° 21' 13.66" N 114° 5' 0.99" E|
|Coordinates:||22° 20' 53.41" N 114° 3' 46.83" E|
|main span||1 377 m|
|total length||2 160 m|
|span lengths||63 m - 76.5 m - 355.5 m - 1 377 m - 355.5 m - 4 x 72 m|
|cables||number of cables||2|
|lower deck||number of tracks||2|
|number of lanes||2|
|upper deck||number of lanes||6|
|deck||structural steel||49 000 t|
Products, Services & Reports
Modular Expansion Joints can be constructed for any movements, from about 100 mm up to 2,000 mm and more. They allow movements in all 3 directions ...[more]
The Tsing Ma Bridge is one of the three long span bridges linking the New Territories in Hong Kong with the Island of Chep Lap Kok, where the territory's new airport is located. The other two bridges are the Kap Shui Mun Bridge and the Ting Kau Bridge.
65 000 tonnes of concrete were used in the construction of each tower (206 metres high). The saddle weight is 500 tonnes each.
The number of wires in the main span is 33 400 with a diameter of 5.38 mm per wire while the side spans have 35 224 each. The total wire length is 160 000 km with a weight of 26 700 tonnes. Each cable carries a load of 53 000 tonnes.
49 000 tonnes of structural steel were used in the construction of the deck, the equivalent weight of 22.7 tonnes per meter.
200 000 tonnes of concrete were used on the Tsing Yi side anchorages, 250 000 tonnes on the Ma Wan end.
The bridge was designed using 20 kN/m and per lane and a wind gust speed of 85 m/s.
The deflections of the bridge are 4.7 meters in the vertical; 1.3 meters due to temperature changes; 4.4 meters laterally due to wind. Longitudinal movement is at ±835 millimetres at the Tsing Yi abutment.
Traffic speeds on the bridge are 100 km/h for automobiles and 135 km/h for trains.
- Tony Gee and Partners LLP (temporary works)
- A. R. Rees (resident engineer)
- Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Co. Ltd. (superstructure)
- Gammon Construction Ltd
- Kvaerner AS
- Maurer Söhne GmbH & Co. KG
- VAE Aktiengesellschaft
- VSL International (piers)
Relevant Web Sites
- Tsing Ma Bridge. In: (2015): Inspection, Evaluation and Maintenance of Suspension Bridges. CRC Press, Boca Raton (USA), ISBN 978-1-4665-9689-4, pp. 61-88. (2015):
- Vom Bau der Hängebrücke Hong-Kong. In: Stahlbau, v. 63, n. 3 (March 1994), pp. 91-93. (1994):
- Design evolution of the Tsing Ma Bridge. Presented at: Bridges — Interaction between construction technology and design, IABSE Symposium, Leningrad, USSR 1991, pp. 461-468. (1991):
- Vibration measurement of Tsing Ma Bridge deck units during erection. Presented at: Long-Span and High-Rise Structures, IABSE Symposium, Kobe, 1998, pp. 275-280. (1998):
- Le pont de Tsing Ma à Hong Kong. Construction des pylônes. In: Travaux, n. 697 (April 1994), pp. 64-72. (1994):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update