General Information
Project Type
Function / usage: |
Church |
---|---|
Architectural style: |
Renaissance |
Location
Location: |
San Polo, Venezia-Murano-Burano, Venice, Venezia, Veneto, Italy |
---|---|
Address: | Campo San Rocco |
Coordinates: | 45° 26' 13.20" N 12° 19' 31.08" E |
Technical Information
There currently is no technical data available.
Excerpt from Wikipedia
The Church of Saint Roch (Italian:Chiesa di San Rocco) is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to Saint Roch in Venice, northern Italy. It was built between 1489 and 1508 by Bartolomeo Bon the Younger, but was substantially altered in 1725. The façade dates from 1765 to 1771, and was designed by Bernardino Maccarucci. The church is one of the Plague-churches built in Venice.
St. Roch, whose relics rest in the church after their transfer from Voghera (trad. Montpellier), was declared a patron saint of the city in 1576. Every year, on his feast day (16 August), the Doge made a pilgrimage to the church.
Near the church is the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, noted for its numerous Tintoretto paintings. It was founded in the 15th century as a confraternity to assist the citizens in time of plague.
Description
Exterior
The facade is decorated with statues by Giovanni Marchiori. On the left Gerard de Csanád (Gerardo Sagredo) and Gregorio Barbarigo; On the right, Lorenzo Giustiniani and Pietro Orseolo. In the center above the entrance door: San Rocco heals the victims of the plague by Giovanni Maria Morlaiter.
Text imported from Wikipedia article "San Rocco, Venice" and modified on June 2, 2020 according to the CC-BY-SA 4.0 International license.
Participants
- Bartolomeo Bon (architect)
Relevant Web Sites
- About this
data sheet - Structure-ID
20035659 - Published on:
21/03/2008 - Last updated on:
28/05/2021