|Name in local language:||明石海峡大橋 (Akashi-Kaikyō Ōhashi)|
|Other name(s):||Akashi Straits Bridge|
|Beginning of works:||1988|
|Completion:||5 April 1998|
|Function / usage:||
Motorway bridge / freeway bridge
Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
Awaji, Hyogo, Japan
The bridge connects Kobe on the island of Honshu (Japan) with Iwaya on Awaji Island while crossing the busy Akashi Strait.
|Coordinates:||34° 37' 26" N 135° 1' 38" E|
|Coordinates:||34° 36' 34" N 135° 0' 54" E|
|main span||1 990.8 m|
|total length||3 911 m|
|span lengths||960 m - 1990.8 m - 960.3 m|
|strands per cable||290|
|wires per strand||127|
|wire diameter||5.23 mm|
|deck truss||width||35.5 m|
|dimensions at base||51 m x 16.5 m|
|on-axis distance between cables at top of towers||35.5 m|
|17 January 1995||
While under construction the bridge remains largely unaffected by the Kobe earthquake.
The January 17, 1995 Kobe earthquake had its epicenter right between the two towers of the Akashi Straits Bridge. The original planned length was 1990 meters for the main span, but the seismic event moved the towers apart by almost a meter. Since construction of the deck had not yet begun, the change was easily accommodated in the slightly altered final design.
The towers of the bridge contain tuned mass dampers in order to diminish the vibrations in the structure during earthquakes and typhoons.
Relevant Web Sites
- Aerodynamics of wind effects on the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge. In: Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, v. 48, n. 2-3 (October 1993), pp. 287-315. (1993):
- Aeroelastic complex mode analysis for coupled gust response of the Akashi Kaikyo bridge model. In: Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, v. 88, n. 2-3 (December 2000), pp. 307-324. (2000):
- Aesthetic Design for Akashi Kaikyo Bridge. In: Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, v. 1549, n. 1 (January 1996), pp. 12-17. (1996):
- Akashi Kaikyo Bridge. In: (2015): Inspection, Evaluation and Maintenance of Suspension Bridges. CRC Press, Boca Raton (USA), ISBN 978-1-4665-9689-4, pp. 39-60. (2015):
- Akashi Kaikyo Bridge. In: American Scientist, v. 97, n. 3 ( 2009), pp. 192. (2009):
- About this
- Published on:
- Last updated on: