Indian American civil engineer.
|Name:||Srinivasa "Hal" Iyengar|
|Born on||6 May 1934|
|Deceased on||4 July 2019 in Fort Myers, Lee County, Florida, USA, North America|
|Place(s) of activity:||
Bachelor in civil engineering from the University of Mysore.
Master's degree in hydraulic and civil engineering from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore.
Master's degree in civil and structural engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Iyengar was involved in many notable projects such as the John Hancock Center, Sears Tower, the Anaheim Stadium expansion, the Soldier Field renovation, the McCormick Exposition Center in Chicago, the Convention Center in Hong Kong, Broadgate Phase 11, the Hotel Artes in Barcelona, the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, and Millennium Park in Chicago. He was the director of Structural Engineering at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill from 1975 to 1992.
Iyengar received numerous awards including the Fazlur Khan lifetime achievement medal. He worked with notable architects such as Bruce Graham, Frank Gehry, and Walter Netsch.
Iyengar was born into a prominent civil engineering family in Mysore India. He developed an enthusiasm for civil engineering early in life and was employed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill at a young age.
Broadgate Exchange House
The Broadgate Phase 11 - Exchange House in London was possibly Iyengar's most innovative structural engineering work. The building is located directly above Liverpool Street Station, a high traffic railroad station whose structure could not be disturbed so no supporting column could touch the ground. To solve this problem three different structural systems were used to support the 10-story building over the 78-meter clear span: an X-braced truss system, a 10-story catenary suspension system, and a parabolic arch making it a building-bridge hybrid.
Structures and Projects
Participation in the following structures & large-scale projects:
- Computerized design of world's tallest building. In: Computers & Structures, v. 2, n. 5-6 (January 1972), pp. 771-783. (1972):
- Calcul et étude du projet du "John Hancock Center" à Chicago. In: Acier = Stahl = Steel, v. 33 (June 1968), pp. 273-276. (1968):
- The Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao, Spain. In: Structural Engineering International, v. 6, n. 4 (November 1996), pp. 227-229. (1996):
- Concrete Core Braced System for Ultra-Tall Buildings. In: Structural Engineering International, v. 2, n. 3 (August 1992), pp. 168-169. (1992):
- The Broadgate Exchange House, London, UK. In: Structural Engineering International, v. 3, n. 4 (November 1993), pp. 214-216. (1993):
- Richard Buckminster Fuller and Srinivasa Iyengar. In: Leadership and Management in Engineering (ASCE), v. 3, n. 2 (April 2003), pp. 104-107. (2003):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update