ROBO®SMART for Expansion Joints
The ROBO®SMART for expansion joints is a small, self-powered and integrated acquisition unit. The precise and durable sensors with robust electronics transfer the measured data via 3G GSM network to a mageba server for 24-hour online data presentation and access via secure web interface. The ROBO®SMART sensors for expansion joints can be assembled directly in our factory or as an upgrade on site.
Bridge expansion joints compensate the deformations of a bridge relative to the ends of the bridge. They ensure the continuity of the carriageway (serviceability) whilst avoiding restraint loads. Their life expectancy depends on traffic loading, accumulated movements, climatic conditions, and above all the type of expansion joint and the quality of its design, fabrication, and installation.
The use of a ROBO®SMART monitoring system can enable the life-cycle cost of an expansion joint to be optimized. Using such a system, the structure's behavior can be assessed on the basis of continuously measured parameters, with data viewable online at any time of day or night.
mageba smart joints
mageba has an extensive track record of supplying structural health monitoring (SHM) systems for various applications and is also a leading manufacturer of expansion joints for bridges and other structures. Combining the company's expertise in both fields enables it to now offer "smart" expansion joints. Any type of expansion joint from mageba's wide range can be designed and manufactured with an integrated SHM system – considerably simplifying its installation and reducing the total cost of ownership. Therefore, the potential use of an SHM system should ideally be considered already when specifying the expansion joint. Previously installed expansion joints can also be retrofitted with an SHM system where required.
- Small, self-powered and integrated acquisition unit
- Precise and durable sensors
- Robust electronics
- Data transfer via 3G GSM network
- 24-hour online data presentation via secure web interface
- Download of measured data
- Assembly on expansion joint in factory or on site
Sample benefits for the end user
- Measurement of accumulated movements leading to optimization of maintenance intervals
- Warnings in case of passing of certain thresholds (e.g. movements, vibrations, rotations)
- Real-time availability of various parameters (e.g. structural and air temperature, bridge deck displacement, etc.)
- Measurement of maximum movements for expansion joint replacement projects, leading to optimized design of the new expansion joints based on actual required rotational and movement capacities
Taizhou, Jiangsu, China (2012)
Similar Products & Services
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update