Der Bau eiserner Brücken im Südwesten Deutschlands 1844 bis 1889 - Vom Gitterträger zum Fachwerk (Teil 3)
|Issue:||Stahlbau", March 2012, n. 3, v. 81|
The construction of iron bridges in the southwest of Germany from 1844 to 1889 - from lattice girders to truss girders (part 3).
Between 1856 and 1858, Bros. Benckiser, a company from Pforzheim in Germany, had built several lattice girder bridges for Switzerland’s railway companies. In contrast to developments in Prussia, they were built as continuous beams without joints, spanning three to four bays. Benckiser used this structural feature for the construction process of the bridges and optimized it that way. The box girder was prefabricated as lattice girder at one abutment side and pushed on rollers and lifting mechanisms, cantilevering at the intermediate supports, into its final position.
|Keywords:||construction history, railway bridge, company history, Grand Duchy of Baden, wrought iro|
Structures and Projects
- Royal Albert Bridge
- Strasbourg-Kehl Railroad Bridge
- Theodor Heuss Bridge
- Waldshut-Tiengen Railroad Bridge
- Znojmo Railroad Bridge
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update