|Other name(s):||Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família|
|Beginning of works:||1882|
Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Sagrada Familia Schools (1909)
|Coordinates:||41° 24' 12.00" N 2° 10' 28.00" E|
|tower height||100-150 m|
First plans are drawn for a cathedral based on the basilica of Loreto in Italy.
The architect of the Diocese, Francisco de Paula de Villar, offers to draw up a plan for free.
|19 March 1882||
The first stone is laid based on Vilar's drawings.
|3 November 1883||
Gaudí takes over as architect after Villar's resignation.
Construction of the crypt.
Consecration of the chapel of Saint Joseph.
Construction of the Eastern façade.
Gaudí decides to change the floor plans for the Eastern bell towers. The originally square plan becomes circular.
Ornaments on the portals of the Eastern façade are mostly finished. The bell towers have reached a height of 32 meters.
Financial problems reduce the pace of construction.
Construction is halted because of lack of funds. Up to date 3.3 million pesetas were used. A model of the church is built.
Gaudí's final design of the Western façade (Passion) is completed.
|30 November 1925||
The bell tower dedicated to Saint Barnabas is completed.
Gaudí is buried in the crypt after his death.
Completion of the remaining three bell towers of the Eastern façade.
A fire in the crypt destroys parts of Gaudí's archives and models.
Foundations of the Western façade are begun.
The tops of the towers for the Western façade are completed.
Completion of the Western façade.
Relevant Web Sites
- (2015): Análisis de comparación fractal de la Sagrada Familia con las Catedrales Góticas. In: Informes de la Construcción, v. 67, n. 538 (May 2015), pp. e072.
- Antoni Gaudí (1852-1926). Ein Leben in der Architektur. Taschen, Cologne (Germany), pp. 190-215. (1993):
- Architects + Engineers = Structures. Academy Editions, New York (USA), pp. 28-29. :
- The Basilica of the Sagrada Família. Editorial Palacios y Museos, Madrid (Spain), ISBN 978-84-8003-946-8, pp. 168. (2019):
- Churches. HarperCollins, pp. 176. (2002):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update