0
  • DE
  • EN
  • FR
  • International Database and Gallery of Structures

Advertisement

General Information

Completion: 1958
Status: demolished

Project Type

Structure: Mast-supported membrane structure
Function / usage: Exhibition hall

Location

Location: , ,
Part of:

Technical Information

Materials

masts steel

Excerpt from Wikipedia

The Philips Pavilion was a World's Fair pavilion designed for Expo '58 in Brussels by the office of Le Corbusier. Commissioned by electronics manufacturer Philips, the pavilion was designed to house a multimedia spectacle that celebrated postwar technological progress. Because Corbusier was busy with the planning of Chandigarh, much of the project management was assigned to Iannis Xenakis, who was also an experimental composer and was influenced in the design by his composition Metastaseis.

The reinforced concrete pavilion is a cluster of nine hyperbolic paraboloids in which music, Edgar Varèse's Poème électronique, was spatialized by sound projectionists using telephone dials. The speakers were set into the walls, which were coated in asbestos, creating a textured look to the walls. Varèse drew up a detailed spatialization scheme for the entire piece which made great use of the physical layout of the pavilion, especially the height of it. The asbestos hardened the walls which created a cavernous acoustic. As audiences entered and exited the building Xenakis's musique concrète composition Concret PH was heard.

The European Union funded a virtual recreation of the Philips Pavilion, which was chaired by Vincenzo Lombardi from the University of Turin.

Text imported from Wikipedia article "Philips Pavilion" and modified on 27 May 2020 according to the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Participants

Architecture

Relevant Web Sites

Relevant Publications

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
    20000920
  • Published on:
    08/09/2000
  • Last updated on:
    26/05/2020