Awards and Distinctions
part of an ensemble
for registered users
Pisa, Pisa, Tuscany, Italy
|Address:||Campo dei Miracoli|
|Coordinates:||43° 43' 23" N 10° 23' 48" E|
|diameter at base||15.484 m|
|interior diameter||7.368 m|
|9 August 1173||
Construction begins, but is halted when the tower begins to lean in the middle of the third floor.
|ca. 1272 — 1275||
Construction continues around this time.
|14 December 2001||
After being closed for 12 years, the tower is again opened to the public through group tours.
Currently there is no information available about persons or companies having participated in this project.
Relevant Web Sites
- BBC: Bid to save Leaning Tower of Pisa (11.12.1998)
- BBC: Leaning Tower of Pisa nears reopening (17.06.2001)
- BBC: Pisa's steps to recovery (14.06.2001)
- BBC: Saving the Leaning Tower (15.12.2001)
- Great Buildings Online: Leaning Tower of Pisa
- NOVA: Fall of the Leaning Tower
- Pisa Campanile (Mary Ann Sullivan)
- Wikipedia: Leaning Tower of Pisa
- The Calculation of Thermal Movements and Eigenstresses in the Leaning Tower of Pisa. In: Bautechnik, v. 83, n. 1 (January 2006), pp. 23-34. (2006):
- Campanile di Pisa. Una cittá e la sua torre. Pacini Editore, pp. 128.
- The Committee to Save the Tower of Pisa: A Personal Report. In: Structural Engineering International, v. 7, n. 3 (August 1997), pp. 201-212. (1997):
- Investigation of wind actions and effects on the Leaning Tower of Pisa. In: Wind & Structures, v. 1, n. 1 (March 1998), pp. 1-23. (1998):
- Investigations on the masonry of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Presented at: IABSE Symposium: Structural Preservation of the Architectural Heritage, Rome, Italy, 1993. (1993):
- About this
- Published on:
- Last updated on: