Through truss bridge
Lattice truss bridge
|Function / usage:||
Railroad (railway) bridge
Pedestrian bridge (footbridge)
Tczew, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland
Tczew Bridge (1959)
Tczew Bridge (1891)
|Coordinates:||54° 5' 33.46" N 18° 48' 21.28" E|
|total length||837.30 m|
|span lengths||6 × 130.88 m|
Work begun at the site on a chain suspension bridge is stopped after Carl Lentze sees the design for the Britannia Bridge.
Construction begins anew based on Carl Lentze's final design using a lattice truss inspired by Britannia Bridge.
One abutment and one pier base are completed.
|27 July 1851||
The Prussian King lays the first cornerstone in a ceremony on the Tczew side of the bridge.
All piers and both abutments are completed.
The two middle spans are completed.
|8 October 1855||
Rudolph Schinz dies of a stroke while construction continues.
Four spans are completed.
|12 October 1857||
The bridge is opened for traffic with all six spans completed. Not all of the decorative towers on the piers are completed and only one decorative portal – at the Tczew abutment.
The towers and other details and decorations are completed.
The railroad track is removed and the bridge henceforth only used as vehicular and pedestrian bridge.
Three truss spans are added to the bridge (and the parallel one) to increase the lengths by 3 x 81.60 m = 244.80 m.
After taking over the bridge in 1920, the Polish government has the decorative carvings removed.
The Tczew Bridge is particular for a number of reasons. The key one is definitely the history: it is the oldest existing bridge on Vistula, opened in 1857. Refurbished and prolonged a number of times, it was destroyed during WWII. Re-opened in 1959, it hardly resembles the original construction, so one may debate whether this is still the 1857 bridge. The original look of the city could be gathered when looking at one of the spans, with towers on the pillars. The rest looks very heterogeneous, rather like a few brides put one next to another. The third longest bridge (1 073 m) stands on huge flood fields on the right bank rather than on the river itself. Its width changes: it is usually 9 m, though on two westernmost spans is reduced to just 5 m and here cars leaving Tczew should give way to those entering the city.
Relevant Web Sites
- Buiding bridges. History, Technology, Construction. Beton-Verlag, Düsseldorf (Germany). (1984):
- Die ersten preussischen Eisenbahnbrücken. Dirschau, Marienburg, Köln. Verschwundene Zeugnisse für Fortschrittsglauben u. Geschichtsbewusstsein. Begleitbuch zur Ausstellung d. Ostpreuss. Landesmuseums Lüneburg. pp. 88. (1988):
- Die im Bau begriffenen Brücken über die Weichsel bei Dirschau und über die Nogat bei Marienburg. Verlag Ernst und Korn, Berlin (Germany). (1855):
- Mosty und Dirschau 1939. Zwei Handstreiche der Wehrmacht vor Beginn des Polenfeldzuges. Verlagshaus Rombach u. Co. GmbH, Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany). (1971):
- Zeugin der Geschichte. Die Alte Weichselbrücke in Dirschau. Kaiserslautern (Germany). :
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update