Advertisement

Share

Follow

Carsch-Haus

General Information

Beginning of works: 1911
Completion: 15 March 1915
Status: in use

Project Type

Structure: Frame
Function / usage: Department store
Material: Reinforced concrete structure

Location

Location: , , ,
Address: Heinrich-Heine-Allee 49
Next to: Wilhelm-Marx-Haus (1924)
Coordinates: 51° 13' 31.00" N    6° 46' 34.00" E
Show coordinates on a map

Technical Information

Materials

façade stone
building structure reinforced concrete

Chronology

1911

Otto Engler is asked to design a "house for exquisite clothing for men and boys" by Paul Carsch.

1915

The department store is opened.

1970

The city considers demolishing the building that was damaged in WWII and then used as a cultural center.

1973

The building is listed as a landmark saving it from destruction.

1976
- 1977

An expert report concludes that it is possible to move the building 23 meters to the east which is necessary for the construction of the subway station Heinrich-Heine-Allee. The costs are eventually borne by the department store chain Horten AG.

1984

The department store is re-opened as Carsch-Haus by Horten AG which later merges with Kaufhof AG.

Advertisement

Participants

Initial construction (1911-1915)
Architecture
Renovation (1979-1983)
Architecture
Structural engineering

Relevant Web Sites

There currently are no relevant websites listed.

Relevant Publications

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
    20003334
  • Date created
    23/05/2002
  • Last Update
    29/07/2014