|Other name(s):||Catedral de Santa María de Burgos|
|Beginning of works:||1221|
|Function / usage:||
|total length||106 m|
|nave||width of nave||26 m|
|transept||width of transept||59 m|
|height of dome above transept||54 m|
|12 June 1221||
Bishop Mauricio lays the first stone. He studied in Paris and probably brought in the master builder from France. Certain elements resemble the Cathedral of Bourges.
The chapter takes possession of the new choir.
The northern portal of the transept (de la Coroneria) is finished.
The two arms of the transept, the adjoining walls and the central part of the nave are completed.
The main portal of the Western façade is used by the King to enter the Cathedral.
|20 July 1260||
Consecration of the chapel.
Contract with Enricus (Enrique), the first master builder of the cathedral to be known by name.
The third story of the Western façade us completed.
Construction of the radiating chapels.
|10 July 1277||
Death of Enricus (Enrique). He was also master builder for the cathedral at Léon. His son Juan succeeds him.
The central lantern tower collapses.
Juan de Vallejo and Francisco Colonia reconstruct the lantern tower and the transept crossing.
|31 October 1984||
Declared part of the World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO.
Currently there is no information available about persons or companies having participated in this project.
Relevant Web Sites
- Functionalism and Caprice in Stonecutting. The Case of the Nativity Chapel in Burgos Cathedral. Presented at: Third International Congress on Construction History, Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus, Germany , 20th-24th May 2009. :
- L'art espagnol. Bordas, Paris (France), pp. 576. (1996):
- Les bâtisseurs des cathédrales gothiques. Editions Les musées de la ville de Strasbourg, Strasbourg (France), pp. 139-163. (1989):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update