|Function / usage:||
Awards and Distinctions
for registered users
Construction begins based on the original design by William Thornton.
Completion of north wing.
|1803 — 1817||
Construction continues under Latrobe.
British forces set fire to the building still under construction.
|1819 — 1829||
Construction of original low-domed building completed under Bulfinch.
|1851 — 1865||
Addition of House and Senate wings and the cast-iron dome by Thomas U. Walter.
|1875 — 1892||
Addition of western terrace. The grounds are landscaped by Frederick Law Olmstead.
Extension of east front by J. George Stewart.
Relevant Web Sites
- The dome of the United States Capitol. In: The Structural Design of Tall Buildings, v. 9, n. 3 ( 2000), pp. 183-199. (2000):
- The Genealogy of the Dome of the United States Capitol. In: Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, v. 7, n. 1-2 (January 1948), pp. 1-31. (1948):
- Kuppeln aller Zeiten, aller Kulturen. Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart (Germany), pp. 138. (1996):
- Scaffolding a Landmark: The Restoration of the Dome of the United States Capitol Building. Presented at: Structures Congress 2017, April 6–8, 2017, Denver, Colorado. :
- Structural Analysis and Rehabilitation of the U.S. Capitol Dome. Presented at: Structures Congress 2001, May 21-23, 2001, Washington, D.C., United States. :
- About this
- Published on:
- Last updated on: