0
  • DE
  • EN
  • FR
  • International Database and Gallery of Structures

Advertisement

Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Pedestrian Overpass

General Information

Other name(s): "Swinging Bridge"
Beginning of works: 1886
Completion: 1887
Status: demolished (7 October 1983)

Project Type

Location

Location: , , ,
Coordinates: 40° 19' 28.10" N    75° 55' 34.44" W
Show coordinates on a map

Technical Information

Dimensions

tower height 15.24 m
span 83.82 m
deck deck width 2.3 m

Materials

foundations masonry
towers steel
deck truss wood

Chronology

January 1887

Beginning of construction.

21 May 1887

Construction of the towers begins under the direction of Wilhelm Hildenbrand of John A. Roebling's Sons.

4 August 1887

Several hundred members of the St. John's Church walk across the bridge making it sway to a point were it was impossible to walk. Hence the nickname "Swinging Bridge".

Notes

The walkway curved as the center was 27 feet above the rails and the ends being 23 feet. The walkway was 7.5 feet wide. The cables were painted blue and light grey and the wood work was painted a light orange with dark trimmings.

Relevant Web Sites

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
    20011000
  • Published on:
    13/12/2003
  • Last updated on:
    21/11/2016