• DE
  • EN
  • FR
  • International Database and Gallery of Structures


General Information

Other name(s): Droichead Uí Dhonnabháin Rossa
Beginning of works: 1813
Completion: 1816
Status: in use

Project Type

Structure: Segmental arch bridge
Function / usage: Road bridge


Location: ,
  • Liffey
Coordinates: 53° 20' 43.08" N    6° 16' 19.92" W
Show coordinates on a map

Technical Information

There currently is no technical data available.

Excerpt from Wikipedia

O'Donovan Rossa Bridge (Irish:Droichead Uí Dhonnabháin Rosa) is a road bridge spanning the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland, and joining Winetavern Street to Chancery Place (at the Four Courts) and the north quays.

Replacing a short-lived wooden structure, the original masonry bridge on this site was built in 1684 as a five-span simple arch bridge, and named Ormonde Bridge. In December 1802 this bridge was swept away during a severe storm.

In 1813 construction started on a replacement bridge – the current structure – a little further west to the designs of James Savage and was opened in 1816. It consists of three elliptical arch spans in granite, with sculptured heads, similar to those on O'Connell Bridge, on the keystones. The heads represent Plenty, the Liffey, and Industry on one side, with Commerce, Hibernia and Peace on the other. The balustrades are of cast iron.

Opened as Richmond Bridge (named for Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland), it was renamed in 1923 for Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa by the fledgling Free State.

Text imported from Wikipedia article "O'Donovan Rossa Bridge" and modified on 23 July 2019 under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.


Currently there is no information available about persons or companies having participated in this project.

Relevant Web Sites

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
  • Published on:
  • Last updated on:
Structurae cooperates with
International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
e-mosty Magazine
e-BrIM Magazine