Isles of Scilly, Cornwall, South West England, England, United Kingdom
|Coordinates:||49° 52' 22.43" N 6° 26' 44.72" W|
|1847 — 1849||
James Walker is not convinced about the adequacy of a granite structure and decides to erect a screw-pile lighthouse at a cost of £12,000. Cast iron legs are sunk into solid granite, braced and stayed with wrought iron rods. By the end of 1849 the actual structure is completed though the installation of the lighting apparatus is postponed until the next year.
|5 February 1850||
A strong gale sweeps away the entire structure. The reconstruction is then executed as a granite tower after all based on Smeaton's Eddystone Lighthouse. The foundations are built using a heavy coffer dam. For seven years workmen are stationed on a nearby uninhabited island to carry out the stone works. Total cost of construction is cost £34,560.
|1 September 1858||
The first light is exhibited.
Sir James Douglass makes a detailed inspection of the tower and reports extensive damage and weakness in the structure. Subsequently the tower is strengthened and the height increased by 12 meters by practically building another structure around the existing one.
Strengthening works are completed at a cost of £66,000.
The lighthouse is converted to automatic operation.
|21 December 1992||
The last lighthouse keeper leaves.