• DE
  • EN
  • FR
  • International Database and Gallery of Structures


General Information

Completion: 1822
Status: in use

Project Type

Structure: Vaulted arch bridge
Function / usage: Canal bridge
Material: Masonry bridge

Awards and Distinctions


Location: , , ,
  • River Almond
Part of:
Coordinates: 55° 55' 13.16" N    3° 26' 2.36" W
Show coordinates on a map

Technical Information

There currently is no technical data available.

Excerpt from Wikipedia

Hugh Baird (10 September 1770 – 24 September 1827) was a Scottish civil engineer, who designed and built the Union Canal. Born at Westertown, Bothkennar, Stirlingshire, he was the son of Nicol Baird, surveyor to the Forth and Clyde Canal, and was a younger brother of engineer Charles Baird.

Nicol Baird died in 1807, and Hugh Baird succeeded him as surveyor to the canal. In 1810 he put forward designs for extending Grangemouth docks, although nothing was built. Baird was appointed resident engineer to the Forth and Clyde Canal in 1812, on a salary of £250 a year.

In 1813, Baird was commissioned to prepare a scheme for linking Edinburgh to the Forth and Clyde Canal, via an "arm", or branch canal, between Falkirk and Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. Alternative designs included schemes by John Rennie and Robert Stevenson, as well as earlier proposals by Ainslie and Whitworth (1797). Thomas Telford supported Baird's proposal in 1815, and an act of Parliament was passed two years later. Baird was appointed chief engineer to the new canal, which became the Union Canal, on a salary of £500 a year. The canal was begun in March 1818 and was opened in May 1822. Although the canal had only one flight of locks, at Falkirk (since replaced by the Falkirk Wheel), it was necessary to construct three substantial aqueducts; the Avon Aqueduct, the Almond Aqueduct and the Slateford Aqueduct. These were designed by Baird with Telford's advice, and are modelled on Telford's Chirk Aqueduct on the Ellesmere Canal. The canal also includes Scotland's only canal tunnel, at Falkirk, 630 metres (2,070 ft) long.

Hugh Baird was also involved with the Crinan Canal in Argyll, and the Ulverston Canal in Cumbria. He died at Kelvinhead, and was buried at Kilsyth. Baird Road in Ratho, Edinburgh was named after Hugh Baird. His son, Nicol Hugh Baird (1796–1849), emigrated to Canada, where he worked on a number of canal projects.

Text imported from Wikipedia article "Hugh Baird (engineer)" and modified on 23 July 2019 under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.



Relevant Web Sites

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
  • Published on:
  • Last updated on:
Structurae cooperates with
International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
e-mosty Magazine
e-BrIM Magazine