^ The evolution and political use of élite domestic architecture at Poggio Civitate (Murlo) | Structurae
0
  • DE
  • EN
  • FR
  • International Database and Gallery of Structures

Advertisement

The evolution and political use of élite domestic architecture at Poggio Civitate (Murlo)

Author(s):
Medium: journal article
Language(s): English
Published in: Journal of Roman Archeology, , v. 30
Page(s): 227-243
DOI: 10.1017/s1047759400074092
Abstract:

The hill of Poggio Civitate is located immediately adjacent to the small mediaeval town of Murlo, c. 25 km south of Siena (fig. 1). Situated at the juncture of Tuscany's mineralrichColline metallifereand the agricultural abundance of theCrete senese, Poggio Civitate's inhabitants drew upon the area's vast resources to emerge as a regional center of power in the 8th through 6th c. B.C.

Excavation in 2015 at the Etruscan site revealed a previously undocumented phase of monumental domestic architecture. The building in question lies immediately west of the Piano del Tesoro plateau, in the modern property zone known as Civitate A. Ist architectural form, as well as the materials recovered both upon and beneath ist floor, suggest that it dates earlier than the architectural complex known on the adjacent plateau.

Structurae cannot make the full text of this publication available at this time. The full text can be accessed through the publisher via the DOI: 10.1017/s1047759400074092.
  • About this
    data sheet
  • Reference-ID
    10287685
  • Published on:
    18/01/2019
  • Last updated on:
    18/01/2019