Saint Austell, Cornwall, South West England, England, United Kingdom
Education Resource Centre (2005)
|Coordinates:||50° 21' 42.65" N 4° 44' 38.37" W|
|diameter||38 - 124 m|
|height||max. 50 m|
|covered area||23 000 m²|
|span||max. 124 m|
Products, Services & Reports
|15 May 2000||
"Soft" opening to a limited area while construction is on-going.
|14 March 2001||
The domes represent a modern structure developed from regular geometries. The form is based on spheres constructed with a grid based on the subdivided pentagons of a regular dodecahedron, a solid with twelve faces. The resulting pattern of hexagons and pentagons is reminiscent of the skeleton of certain zooplankton called radiolaria and was thought to provide an appropriate link to the natural world. A single - layer grid would carry external loads with large bending moments in the members. To make it more structurally efficient, and to enable prefabrication of the components, a second grid layer to the space frame was added to form a 'hex - tri - hex' grid. This was constructed with members and nodes developed from the Mero system with cup nodes for the outer layer and spherical nodes for the inner. The ends of the members are fi nished square to the axis while the nodes are machined and drilled to the correct angles.
Source: Liddell, Ian and McCormick, Fergus (2012) Special steel structures in Steel Designers' Manual: The Steel Construction Institute, Seventh Edition (eds B. Davison and G. W. Owens), Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK
Relevant Web Sites
- Creating the Eden environment. In: The Arup Journal, v. 37, n. 1 ( 2002), pp. 3-12. (2002):
- Eden Project in St Austell. In: Detail - Zeitschrift für Architektur + Baudetail, v. 41, n. 5 (July 2001), pp. 868-872.
- The Eden Project, St Austell, Gran Bretagna / Grimshaw & Partners / The Eden Project, St Austell, Great Britain / Grimshaw & Partners. In: Crossing, v. 2, n. 2 (June 2001), pp. 38-45. (2001):
- Das Eden-Projekt. Konstruktion, Fertigung und Montage des größten Gewächshauses der Welt. In: Stahlbau, v. 70, n. 8 (August 2001), pp. 513-525. (2001):
- Eden-Projekt in Cornwall / The Eden Project, Cornwall. In: Detail - Zeitschrift für Architektur + Baudetail, v. 40, n. 6 (September 2000), pp. 987.
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update