|Other name(s):||Smeaton's Tower|
|Beginning of works:||12 June 1756|
|Completion:||16 October 1759|
|Status:||out of service|
Plymouth, Devon, South West England, England, United Kingdom
|Coordinates:||50° 21' 51.71" N 4° 8' 30.68" W|
|diameter at base||8 m|
|diameter at top||5 m|
Relocated to another small island nearby.
The top section of Smeaton's Eddystone Lighthouse was re-erected on Plymouth Hoe and is still there. It is the logo of the Institution of Civil Engineers. Its construction included the first use of concrete since the fall of the Roman Empire.
- John Smeaton (civil engineer)
Relevant Web Sites
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update