|Name in local language:||Tour Eiffel|
|Beginning of works:||1887|
|Completion:||31 March 1889|
|Duration of works:||2 years 2 months 5 days|
Paris ( 7th), Paris, Ile-de-France, France
|Address:||Champs de Mars|
|Coordinates:||48° 51' 30.00" N 2° 17' 40.00" E|
|height to antenna tip||320.75 m (1957)
324.00 m (2000)
|weight of tower structure||7 000 t|
|platform 1||height to platform||57.63 m|
|surface||4 200 m²|
|platform 2||height to platform||115.73 m|
|surface||1 400 m²|
|platform 3||height to platform||276.13 m|
|cost of construction||French Franc 7 400 000|
|28 January 1887||
Tower construction begins.
|30 January 1887||
The foundations are completed.
|1 June 1887||
Construction of piers begins
|1 July 1887||
The assembly of the tower begins.
|29 April 1888||
Joining of the four legs of the tower at the level of the first platform.
|30 March 1889||
The assembly of the tower is completed.
|31 March 1889||
Gustave Eiffel climbs the 1710 steps of the tower.
|1 January 1890||
The concession is extended by 20 years.
The tower is used as a telegraph relay station with an emitting radius of 3000 km.
An antenna is added, increasing the total height of the tower to above 320 meters.
The addition of new antennas brings the total height to 324 meters.
|22 July 2003, 19:21||
An electrical fire erupts in the 4th level above the topmost viewing platform causing only minor damage. The tower is evacuated, but reopens the following day.
The Eiffel Tower in Paris was built for the 1889 Universal Exposition (World's Fair) and for the centennial of the French Revolution. Gustave Eiffel, referred to this structure as the 300-Meter Tower, the name "Eiffel Tower" was given by the Parisian critics who were against it and the name has stuck ever since.
In 1889 the elevators were provided by Roux, Combaluzier et Lepape between the ground and 1st platform (located in the east and west legs); Otis built the elevators in the north and south legs serving between ground and second platform. Edoux provided elevators between the second and top platforms.
Cost of construction: 7 400 000 Francs
Fees collected during the world's fair of 1889: 6 500 000 Francs
Subsidy by the city of Paris: 1 500 000 Francs.
121 workers were necessary on site to assemble the tower, while 326 worked at the Eiffel factory.
18 000 different pieces were assembled using 2 500 000 rivets of which 1 050 846 were placed on-site.
During good weather periods, the view is as far as 60 kilometers to the north, 70 km to the West, 55 to the South and 65 to the East.
- Compagnie des établissements Eiffel
Relevant Web Sites
- archINFORM: Eiffel Tower
- Eiffel Tower (Mary Ann Sullivan)
- Great Buildings Online: Eiffel Tower
- L'histoire par l'image: La construction de la Tour Eiffel
- Le Moniteur: Rétrospective: La tour Eiffel, du «lampadaire tragique» au «phare fantastique"
- Mathematicians commemorated on the Eiffel Tower
- OTUA: Les traitement de surface à la Tour Eiffel
- PBS: Building Big - Eiffel Tower
- TF1: Live Cam Tour Eiffel
- The Eiffel Tower Reconstruction Web Site
- Tour Eiffel Web Site
- Wikipedia: Eiffel Tower
- Der Turm und die Brücke. Wilhelm Ernst & Sohn Verlag für Architektur und technische Wissenschaften, Berlin (Germany), ISBN 978-3-433-03077-6. (2013):
- La torre y el puente. El nuevo arte de la ingeniería estructural. CINTER, Madrid (Spain), ISBN 978-84-939305-4-7, pp. 300. :
- La Tour Eiffel. In: Ossature métallique, v. 6 (September 1937), pp. 426.
- La Tour Eiffel. In: (2004): Le Paris des Centraliens. Action artistique de la Ville de Paris, Paris (France), pp. 78-81. (2004):
- 110 Jahre Eiffelturm. In: Bautechnik, v. 76, n. 8 (August 1999), pp. 696-699. (1999):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update