• DE
  • EN
  • FR
  • Base de données et galerie internationale d'ouvrages d'art et du génie civil


Digital Mapping of Techno-Economic Performance of a Water-Based Solar Photovoltaic/Thermal (PVT) System for Buildings over Large Geographical Cities


Médium: article de revue
Langue(s): anglais
Publié dans: Buildings, , n. 9, v. 10
Page(s): 148
DOI: 10.3390/buildings10090148

Solar photovoltaic thermal (PVT) is an emerging technology capable of producing electrical and thermal energy using a single collector. However, to achieve larger market penetration of this technology, it is imperative to have an understanding of the energetic performance for different climatic conditions and the economic performance under various financial scenarios. This paper thus presents a techno-economic evaluation of a typical water-based PVT system for a single-family house to generate electricity and domestic hot water applications in 85 locations worldwide. The simulations are performed using a validated tool with one-hour time step for output. The thermal performance of the collector is evaluated using energy utilization ratio and exergy efficiency as key performance indicators, which are further visualized by the digital mapping approach. The economic performance is assessed using net present value and payback period under two financial scenarios: (1) total system cost as a capital investment in the first year; (2) only 25% of total system cost is a capital investment and the remaining 75% investment is considered for a financing period with a certain interest rate. The results show that such a PVT system has better energy and exergy performance for the locations with a low annual ambient temperature and vice versa. Furthermore, it is seen that the system boundaries, such as load profile, hot water storage volume, etc., can have a significant effect on the annual energy production of the system. Economic analysis indicates that the average net present values per unit collector area are 1800 and 2200 EUR, respectively, among the 85 cities for financial model 1 and financial model 2. Nevertheless, from the payback period point of view, financial model 1 is recommended for locations with high interest rate. The study is helpful to set an understanding of general factors influencing the techno-economic performance dynamics of PVT systems for various locations.

Copyright: © 2020 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.

Cette oeuvre a été publiée sous la license Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC-BY 4.0). Il est autorisé de partager et adapter l'oeuvre tant que l'auteur est crédité et la license est indiquée (avec le lien ci-dessus). Vous devez aussi indiquer si des changements on été fait vis-à-vis de l'original.

  • Informations
    sur cette fiche
  • Reference-ID
  • Publié(e) le:
  • Modifié(e) le: