|Médium:||article de revue|
|Publié dans:||Architectural History, 2018, v. 61|
This article examines the architectural evolution of Barlborough Hall from its construction in 1583 to the present day, using a number of previously unpublished documents, mostly from the Locker-Lampson Collection. It also discusses a painting in the British Library which indicates that the house was once prefaced by ranges of forecourt buildings, and it outlines the various alterations made to the house and garden between 1696 and 1714, identifying the architect responsible for at least some of these changes as John Hallam. The most important source of new information is an album of drawings by Lindley, Woodhead & Hurst of 1815, which records the building in detail before further alterations completed in 1825. These drawings also permit reconstructions of the likely design and appearance of the original house. The relatively minor additions in the mid-nineteenth century and the alterations made to the building since it became a school in 1938 are also outlined.
sur cette fiche
- Publié(e) le:
- Modifié(e) le: