0
  • DE
  • EN
  • FR
  • International Database and Gallery of Structures

Advertisement

General Information

Other name(s): Russische Kapelle
Beginning of works: 1897
Completion: 1899
Status: in use

Project Type

Function / usage: Church

Location

Location: , ,
Address: Nikolaiweg 18
Coordinates: 49° 52' 35" N    8° 40' 1" E
Show coordinates on a map

Technical Information

Cost

cost of construction Mark 400 000

Excerpt from Wikipedia

The Russian Chapel in Darmstadt, formally, the St. Mary Magdalene Chapel, is a historic Russian orthodox church in Darmstadt, Germany.

The Russian revival style church with gold Onion domes was built between 1897-1899 by the architect Leon Benois, and used as a private chapel by the last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas II, whose wife Alexandra was born in Darmstadt. It is named in honor of the patron saint of Tsar Nicholas' mother. It was built of Russian stone and, as some people claim, built on soil from Russia brought to Darmstadt by train, and used during their lifetimes by the Russian royal family and court during regular visits to the Tsarina's childhood home and to her family.

Even though there have been many historical Eastern orthodox churches in diverse regions of Western and Central Europe, it has been stated by some that it had been the only one Nicholas II would have ever entered and attended outside of Russia, being a favorite of Nicholas II for his visits to Germany.

Text imported from Wikipedia article "Russian Chapel in Darmstadt" and modified on 23 July 2019 under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

 

Participants

Architecture
Associate architects

Relevant Web Sites

Relevant Publications

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
    20021549
  • Published on:
    13/05/2006
  • Last updated on:
    29/07/2014