• de
  • en
  • fr
  • International Database and Gallery of Structures

Temple Meads Station

General Information

Completion: 1841
Status: in use

Project Type

Structure: Truss
Function / usage: original use:
Railroad (railway) station

Location

Location: , , ,
Coordinates: 51° 26' 59.30" N    2° 34' 51.61" W

Technical Information

Dimensions

track hall 1 main span 22.6 m
length 67.1 m
track hall 3 span 38.1 m

Materials

roof truss cast iron
walls masonry

Chronology

1841

Opening of Temple Meads Station as terminus to the Great Western Railway [GWR]. The initial train shed lies behind a Tudor façade which include the GWR offices. The sheds themselves (designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel) are a series of cantilevers supported on cast-iron columns with many embellishments such as curved brackets at the springings and timber pendants giving an appearance of a hammerbeam roof.

1870s

The train shed is extended to almost twice its length with the construction of a second shed.

1876

A third shed is constructed over a curved section of track as Temple Meads Station is also used as Terminus to the Midland Railway.

Participants

Initial construction (1841)
Design

Relevant Web Sites

Relevant Publications

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
    20007199
  • Date created
    10/12/2002
  • Last Update
    29/07/2014