Tczew, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland
Tczew Bridge (1857)
Tczew Bridge (1959)
|span lengths||6 × 129 m|
Three truss spans are added to the bridge (and the parallel one) to increase the lengths by 3 x 81.60 m = 244.80 m.
|1 September 1939||
Despite efforts by the German invasion troops to save the bridge from destruction, 4 spans are blown up by the Polish.
|15 October 1939||
A temporary bridge is erected and the first train passes the temporary bridge.
|1 September 1940||
The repaired bridge is opened to traffic.
The superstructure is completely replaced with a new structure.
The Tczew Bridge is particular for a number of reasons. The key one is definitely the history: it is the oldest existing bridge on Vistula, opened in 1857. Refurbished and prolonged a number of times, it was destroyed during WWII. Re-opened in 1959, it hardly resembles the original construction, so one may debate whether this is still the 1857 bridge. The original look of the city could be gathered when looking at one of the spans, with towers on the pillars. The rest looks very heterogeneous, rather like a few brides put one next to another. The third longest bridge (1073 m) stands on huge flood fields on the right bank rather than on the river itself. Its width changes: it is usually 9 m, though on two westernmost spans is reduced to just 5 m and here cars leaving Tczew should give way to those entering the city.
Relevant Web Sites
There currently are no relevant websites listed.
- Zeugin der Geschichte. Die Alte Weichselbrücke in Dirschau. Kaiserslautern (Germany). :
- History and construction of the Old Vistula Bridges in Tczew. Presented at: First International Congress on Construction History, Madrid, 20-24.01.2003. (2003):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update