|Other name(s):||Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família|
|Beginning of works:||1882|
Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Sagrada Familia Schools (1909)
|Coordinates:||41° 24' 12.00" N 2° 10' 28.00" E|
|tower height||100-150 m|
First plans are drawn for a cathedral based on the basilica of Loreto in Italy.
The architect of the Diocese, Francisco de Paula de Villar, offers to draw up a plan for free.
|19 March 1882||
The first stone is laid based on Vilar's drawings.
|3 November 1883||
Gaudí takes over as architect after Villar's resignation.
Construction of the crypt.
Consecration of the chapel of Saint Joseph.
Construction of the Eastern façade.
Gaudí decides to change the floor plans for the Eastern bell towers. The originally square plan becomes circular.
Ornaments on the portals of the Eastern façade are mostly finished. The bell towers have reached a height of 32 meters.
Financial problems reduce the pace of construction.
Construction is halted because of lack of funds. Up to date 3.3 million pesetas were used. A model of the church is built.
Gaudí's final design of the Western façade (Passion) is completed.
|30 November 1925||
The bell tower dedicated to Saint Barnabas is completed.
Gaudí is buried in the crypt after his death.
Completion of the remaining three bell towers of the Eastern façade.
A fire in the crypt destroys parts of Gaudí's archives and models.
Foundations of the Western façade are begun.
The tops of the towers for the Western façade are completed.
Completion of the Western façade.
Relevant Web Sites
- Gaudí ingegnere / Gaudí engineer in "Crossing", June 2001, n. 2 v. 2
- Expiatory Church of the Sagrada Familia (Antoni Gaudí), Phaidon Press Ltd., London (United Kingdom), ISBN 0714828491, 1993; pp. 190-215
- Churches, HarperCollins, ISBN 0060194383, 2002
- Türme aller Zeiten - aller Kulturen (3rd edition), Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart (Germany), ISBN 3421029318, 1997; pp. 213
- Architects + Engineers = Structures, Academy Editions, New York (USA), ISBN 0471498254; pp. 28-29
- Horizons architecture / Architectural Horizons, Editions Le Moniteur, Paris (France), ISBN 2281191478, 2001
- Antoni Gaudí (1852-1926), Taschen, Cologne (Germany), ISBN 3822800678, 1993; pp. 190-215
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update