|Function / usage:||
Pedestrian bridge (footbridge)
City of London, London, England, United Kingdom
Southwark, London, England, United Kingdom
|Coordinates:||51° 30' 34.30" N 0° 5' 54.75" W|
|main span||144 m|
|total length||370 m|
|cost of construction||Pound sterling 18 200 000|
|10 June 2000||
On the opening weekend, over 150 000 people use the bridge. On Saturday, larger than expected movements are experienced as larger crowds cross the bridge.
|12 June 2000||
The bridge is temporarily closed to assess the deflection problems that occurred in the first days of opening.
|22 February 2002||
After addition of dampeners during a £ 5 000 000 repair program, the bridge re-opens to the public.
The structural problem of the Millennium Bridge is due to "synchronous lateral excitation", where the footfalls from pedestrians create lateral movements in the bridge. These movements are enhanced when the pedestrians attempt to compensate and match their footfalls to the bridge's movements. At more than 156 pedestrians this type of movement increased visibly in the Millennium Bridge. The structural problems were studied at the Cambridge University Structure Laboratory.
- Jill Baker (structural engineer)
- Taylor Devices Europe (dampers)
Relevant Web Sites
- Bridges. A History of the World's Most Spectacular Spans. 2nd edition, Black Dog & Leventhal, New York (USA), ISBN 978-0316507943, pp. 130-131. (2017):
- Fluid Viscous Dampers: an Effective Way to Suppress Pedestrian-Induced Motions in Footbridges. Presented at: Footbridge 2008 - Footbridges for Urban Renewal, Third International Conference on Footbridges, 2-4 July 2008, Porto, Portugal, pp. 313-314. (2008):
- An Engineer's Guide to Interesting Structures in London. Arranged for Walking Tours. pp. 20-21. :
- Millennium Bridge in London wiedereröffnet. In: Bautechnik, v. 79, n. 4 (April 2002), pp. 283-284.
- Fußgängerbrücken. Konstruktion, Gestalt, Geschichte. Birkhäuser, Basel (Switzerland), ISBN 978-3-7643-8138-7, pp. 168-169. (2007):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update