|Other name(s):||Mersey Crossing|
|Beginning of works:||7 May 2014|
|Completion:||14 October 2017|
Multiple-span cable-stayed bridge
Cable-stayed bridge with harp system
|Function / usage:||
Prestressed concrete bridge
Runcorn, Halton, North West England, England, United Kingdom
Widnes, Halton, North West England, England, United Kingdom
Silver Jubilee Bridge (1961)
|Coordinates:||53° 21' 9.27" N 2° 42' 43.63" W|
|total length||ca. 2 100 m|
|main spans||2 × 300 m|
|number of lanes||2 × 3|
|main bridge||length||1 000 m|
|pylon 1||height||125 m|
|pylon 2||height||80 m|
|pylon 3||height||110 m|
|pylon 1||concrete volume||2 230 m³|
|pylon 3||concrete volume||1 890 m³|
Products, Services & Reports
The south pylon, tallest among the three, is the first to reach its full height of 125 meters. It is followed shortly thereafter by the northern pylon with a total height of 110 meters.
The shortest of the pylons, the central one, reaches the final height of 80 meters.
|14 October 2017||
Opened to traffic.
Relevant Web Sites
- Applied Plasticity Methods for Design of the Concrete Substructure at Mersey Gateway Bridge. Presented at: Challenges in Design and Construction of an Innovative and Sustainable Built Environment, 19th IABSE Congress Stockholm, 21-23 September 2016, pp. 2021-2028. (2016):
- Gateway goal. England's north west could be set for a new landmark bridge, with a decision on the proposed Mersey Gateway project expected early next year. In: Bridge Design & Engineering, v. 15, n. 57 (4th Quarter 2009), pp. 36, 39. (2009):
- Mersey bridge awaits green light. In: Bridge Update, n. 48 (December 2004), pp. 1.
- Mersey crossing gains government support. In: Bridge Update, n. 42 (March 2004), pp. 2.
- Mersey Gateway Bridge (UK) - Design for Construction. Presented at: Challenges in Design and Construction of an Innovative and Sustainable Built Environment, 19th IABSE Congress Stockholm, 21-23 September 2016, pp. 2266-2273. (2016):
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update