|Born on||14 November 1912 in Fuzhou, Fujian, China, Asia|
|Deceased on||15 November 2003 in El Cerrito, Contra Costa County, California, USA, North America|
|Place(s) of activity:|
Enters Jiaotong University's Tangshan Engineering College at the age of 14.
Graduates from Jiaotong University's Tangshan Engineering College.
Master of Science in Civil Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley.
Appointed Chief Engineer for the dsign of the Chongqing – Chengdu Railroad.
Marries Margaret Kao in Kunming.
Returns to U.C. Berkeley as a professor after rebuilding railroad structures in China during wartime.
Uses a Fulbright Fellowship to study in Belgium under Professor Gustave Magnel at the University of Ghent.
Founds T.Y. Lin Associates in Los Angeles which later becomes T.Y. Lin International.
Publication of his book "Design of Prestressed Concrete Structures" which he wrote in the years 1953 to 1954.
Organizes a worldwide conference on prestressed concrete which is held in San Francisco.
Co-authors "Design of Steel Structures".
Elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
Organizes Inter-Continental Peace Bridge, Inc. a charitable organization to further his 1958 proposal of a bridge crossing the Bering Straits "to foster commerce and understanding between the people of the United States and the Soviet Union".
Receives the Berkeley Citation, one of the University's highest honors. During the same year he retires from the University to work full-time at T.Y. Lin International.
Design proposal for the Ruck-A-Chucky Bridge.
Design for the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco in cooperation with architects Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum (HOK).
Receives the National Medal of Science from Presiden Ronald Reagan.
Upon leaving T.Y. Lin International founds Lin Tung-Yen China, which oversees engineering projects in China.
Leaves T.Y. Lin International to found a firm in China.
Notes & Comments
- US National Medal of Science
- FIP Freyssinet Medal
- Albert Caquot Medal of the AFGC
- Howard Gold Medal of the ASCE
- PCI Medal of Honour
Structures and Projects
Participation in the following structures & large-scale projects:
- Guangfu Bridge - T. Y. Lin International
- Pitan Bridge - T. Y. Lin International
- Design of Prestressed Concrete Structures. 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York (USA), pp. 646. (1981):
- Eminent Structural Engineer: Tung Yen Lin; A Wonderful Life (1912-2003). In: Structural Engineering International, v. 20, n. 3 (August 2010), pp. 346-349. (2010):
- Engineer Legend T.Y. Lin Dead at 91. In: Engineering News Record (24 November 2003).
- T Y Lin: builder of bridges. In: Bridge Design & Engineering, v. 3, n. 9 (November 1997), pp. 55-58. (1997):
- Tung-Yen Lin. In: Bridge Design & Engineering, v. 10, n. 34 (1st Quarter 2004), pp. 8.
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update