Advertisement

Share

Follow

The Church of Peace in Jawor: A few remarks on the organization of its construction in the years 1654-56 in the light of written and iconographic sources

Author(s):
Medium: conference paper
Language(s): en 
Conference: 6th International Congress on Construction History (6ICCH 2018), July 9-13, 2018, Brussels, Belgium
Published in:
Page(s): 1147-1154
Abstract: The Thirty Years War ended in the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. As a result of the peace negotiations, Protestants in the Silesian hereditary duchies under the king of Bohemia were deprived of all their possessed churches and allowed to build only three new churches of wood and clay outside the town walls of Głogów, Jawor, and Świdnica. In the example of the Jawor Church, an attempt has been made to examine the question of the organisation of the construction. Studies have shown that the building operations are based on traditional forms, known from medieval times. The uniqueness of the Jawor Church consists in the fact that in the middle of the 17th century the newly formed parish, initially without financial means, had to face the challenge of building one of Europe`s largest framework churches in the early modern period.

Structures and Projects

Advertisement

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Reference-ID
    10078287
  • Date created
    11/09/2018
  • Last Update
    23/09/2018