Wheeling Suspension Bridge
|Beginning of works:||1847|
|End of works:||1849|
Suspension bridge with cable-stays
|Function / usage:||
Geographic Information & Related Structures
Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia, USA
|Coordinates:||40° 4' 13.00" N 80° 43' 36.00" W|
|main span||308 m|
|number of cables||2 x 6|
|deck||deck depth||7.3 m|
|17 May 1854||
In a strong wind that blows during most of the day, the bridge deck begins to oscillate, which the local inhabitants seem to like to experience. However in the afternoon the deck is suddenly completely overturned, ripping most of the suspension cables out of their anchorages.
|26 July 1854||
After salvaging the wreckage Charles Elliot and Captain McComas inaugurate a reconstructed 14-foot-wide temporary bridge despite an injuction by the Supreme Court barring any effort to that effect.
Joseph Lawson is appointed superintendent of the bridge. He holds this position until his death in December of 1923.
Wilhelm Hildenbrand redesigns the bridge adding cable-stays to strengthen the structure and replacing the deck.
Relevant Web Sites
- A Sightseer's Guide to Engineering: Wheeling Suspension Bridge
- A Span for All Seasons: Wheeling Suspension Bridge
- Digital Bridges: Report on a rail-way suspension bridge across the Connecticut, at Middletown
- HAER: Wheeling Suspension Bridge, Spanning East channel of Ohio River at U.S. Route , Wheeling, Ohio County, WV
- Wheels of change in "Bridge Design & Engineering", 1st Quarter 1999, n. 14 v. 5
- Bridges, Macmillan Publishing Company, New York (USA), ISBN 002517455X, 1993; pp. 79
- Bridging the World, Bridge Ink, Wilsonville (USA), ISBN 0964196336, 2003
- Report on a rail-way suspension bridge across the Connecticut, at Middletown, J.C. Clark, printer, Philadelphia (USA), 1848
- Great American Bridges and Dams, John Wiley & Sons, New York (USA), ISBN 0471143855, 1984; pp. 159
- Les grands ponts du monde: Hors d'Europe, Brissaud, Poitiers (France), ISBN 2902170688, 1990; pp. 110
- Validated Analysis of Wheeling Suspension Bridge in "Journal of Bridge Engineering (ASCE)", February 1999, n. 1 v. 4
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update