The O2 Dome
|Other name(s):||North Greenwich Arena|
|Beginning of works:||1997|
|Completion:||31 December 1999|
Greenwich, London, England, United Kingdom
North Greenwich Transportation Interchange (1998)
|Coordinates:||51° 30' 10.31" N 0° 0' 11.58" E|
|membrane covered area||80 000 m²|
|site area||200 000 m²|
PTFE-coated glass-fiber fabric
|23 June 1997||
First piles bored.
Cables are stressed.
Built to house the Millennium Exhibition, the Dome was to provide a cover over the whole site under which the elements of the exhibition could be built later. The main component of the structure is a radial net of 72 straight tensioned cables These span 25 m from node to node and carry tensioned fabric panels. The nodes are supported by an array of cables hanging from the 100m high masts. Around the perimeter the radial cables are supported by masts and tied down to anchor points where the vertical forces are taken by tension piles and the radial forces by a compression ring beam on the ground.
Since the cables defl ect both vertically and horizontally under loads the cables are connected at each node with a detail that allows movement in both directions. This avoids the risk of fatigue at the cable terminations. The radial geometry on the spherical cap minimizes the risk of ponding under snow loading.
Source: Liddell, Ian and McCormick, Fergus (2012) Special steel structures in Steel Designers' Manual: The Steel Construction Institute, Seventh Edition (eds B. Davison and G. W. Owens), Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK
- Richard Rogers Partnership
- Andrew Morris (architect)
- Mike Davies (architect)
- Richard Rogers (architect)
Relevant Web Sites
- Millennium Dome in London in "Detail - Zeitschrift für Architektur + Baudetail", September 2000, n. 6 v. 40
- Die Millennium-Halle in London - ein Baustellenbericht / The Millennium Hall in London - a Site Report in "Detail - Zeitschrift für Architektur + Baudetail", September 1998, n. 6 v. 38
- Ten Years of Structural Engineering International in "Structural Engineering International", February 2001, n. 1 v. 11
- Membrane Designs and Structures in the World (1st edition), Shinkenchiku-sha Co. Ltd, Tokyo (Japan), ISBN 4786901466, 1999; pp. 114-117
- Tragwerksplanung für den Millennium Dome in "Baukultur", 1998, n. 3
- An Engineer's Guide to Interesting Structures in London; pp. 48-49
- Design and Construction of the Millennium Dome, UK in "Structural Engineering International", August 1999, n. 3 v. 9
- Bau des Millennium Domes in London in "Bauingenieur", January 2000, n. 1 v. 75
- Steel Designers' Manual (7th edition), Blackwell Publishing Ltd, Chichester (United Kingdom), ISBN 1-4051-8940-1, 2012; pp. 218
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update