• de
  • en
  • fr
  • International Database for Civil and Structural Engineering


image credits (ID:141634)

General Information

Other name(s): Reichstag
Beginning of works: 9 June 1884
Completion: 5 December 1894
Status: in use

Project Type

Structure: Dome
Function / usage: Parliament building


Location: Berlin-Tiergarten, Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Address: Platz der Republik 1
Coordinates: 52° 31' 7.03" N    13° 22' 34.27" E

Technical Information


Initial construction
dome height to tip of dome 75 m
gross floor area 61 166 m²
dome diameter 40 m
height 23.5 m
height to observation deck 59 m
height to platform 40.7 m
glazed surface 3 000 m²
height to tip of dome 47 m
plenary hall height 25 m
seats 669
gross floor area ca. 1 200 m²


dome structural steel 800 t


dome steel


1 July 1884

Emperor Wilhelm I. lays the first stone.

5 December 1894

The final stone is laid by Emperor Wilhelm II.

End of 1916

After the emperor quits opposing it the inscription "Dem Deutschen Volke" (for the German People) is added to the building.

9 November 1918, 14:00

The social-democrat delegate Philipp Scheidemann proclaims the first democratic and parlamentary republic of the unified Germany.


After the constitution of the Weimar Republic the parliament returns to capital Berlin for regular sessions.

27 February 1933

The building burns out after being set on fire. Dutchman Marinus van der Lubbe is arrested for the arson.

28 February 1933

Adolf Hitler gets President Hindenburg to pass the "Reichstagsbrand-Verordnung" which abolishes most political rights in the Republic.

23 March 1933

Forced to have its sessions in the nearby Kroll Opera building, the Reichstag takes away its own powers, transfers them to Adolf Hitler and becomes a show parliament for the Führer and the Third Reich without any political weight.

2 May 1945

Soviet troops capture the building.


The Bundestag decides to have the building reconstructed.

13 June 1961

The construction of the Berlin wall shows that the building is right at the border to East Berlin.

3 September 1971

The "Vier-Mächte-Abkommen" comes into force and changes the status of West-Berlin and also prohibits plenary sessions of the Bundestag in the soon-to-be-reconstructed Reichstag.


Reconstruction of the building is completed based on plans by Paul Baumgarten. It serves until 1994 as space for an historical exhibit called "Questions on German History".

- 1999

Renovation of the building and reconstruction of the dome in a new form.

June 1995

The building is wrapped by Christo.

April 1999

The Bundestag inaugurates the building in a ceremonial session.

23 May 1999

The Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung) constituted by the Bundestag and representatives of the states elects the new president of the Federal Republic in the building.

September 1999

The Bundestag's move from Bonn to Berlin is complete.


Initial construction (1884-1894)
Structural engineering
Reconfiguration (1995-1999)
Structural engineering
Consulting engineers
Checking engineering
Steel construction
Concrete construction
Glass construction
Project controlling
Building physics
Fire safety engineering
Specialist consultants
Room book
Reconstruction (1961-1972)

Relevant Web Sites

Relevant Publications

  • About this
    data sheet
  • Structure-ID
  • Date created
  • Last Update