Firth of Tay Road Bridge
Haunched girder bridge
|Function / usage:||
Steel-reinforced concrete composite bridge
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Newport-on-Tay, Fife, Scotland, United Kingdom
Firth of Tay Bridge (1887)
|total length||2 250 m|
|height above valley floor or water||9.7 - 38 m|
|cost of construction||Pound sterling 6 000 000|
|18 August 1966||
Opened by Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, the Queen Mother.
A 15.5m (51 feet) high obelisk at the Fife end of the bridge commemorates Willie Logan (1913-66), director of the construction company, Robert Lyle, former town clerk of Dundee, and five men who died while the bridge was being built.
A temporary piled jetty was used for the full length of the bridge during construction.
Relevant Web Sites
There is no relevant literature listed in the database.
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update