Fred Hartman Bridge
|Function / usage:||
Motorway bridge / freeway bridge
|Other name(s):||Baytown Bridge|
|Built:||1986 - 1995|
Geographic Information & Related Structures
Baytown, Harris County, Texas, USA, North America
La Porte, Harris County, Texas, USA, North America
|main span||381 m|
|total length||4 185 m|
|bridge surface||32 800 m2|
|deck||deck width||47 m|
|pylon||pylon height||133 m|
polymer-wrapped twisted steel wire bundles
|deck of main bridge||
|deck of approaches||
precast prestressed concrete
|27 September 1995||
The pylons were cast in place in increments of approximately 15'. The rebar cages were pretied on the ground in 34' segments and transported to the south pylon by a tractor trailer, and to the north pylon by a barge. The cages (weighing approximately 17 tons) Were then rotated from a horizontal to vertical position and raised into place, using a 4600 Manitowoc crane (lower portion), or Derrick crane (upper portion). The cages were lowered into position an were mechanically coupled with a hydraulically compressed malleable steel coupler (supplied by Dayton Barsplice Products, Dayton Ohio).
The tower anchor segments were also pretied, on the ground, around a plywood interior form (with steel anchors and post-tension ducts pre-installed). These segments were limited to approximately 10 tons (due to the capacity of the Derrick crane boom radius at this elevation).
The tower anchor segments were post-tensioned prior to cable stay installation.
The only elements on this bridge that were prestressed were the Type "V" ASSHTO concrete girders. (Approaches)
[Text provided by Glen Robinson (Rebar Superintendent)]
- DRC Consultants
Leonhardt, Andrä und Partner Beratende Ingenieure VBI AG
- Holger S. Svensson (structural engineer)
- Robert H. Scanlan (consultant)
Relevant Web Sites
- LAP: Baytown Brücke über den Houston Ship Channel
- URS Greiner Woodward Clyde: Award Winning Projects
- WDP: Fred Hartman Bridge
- Bridges, Macmillan Publishing Company, New York (USA), ISBN 002517455X, 1993; pp. 135
- Close-up on cables, in "Bridge Design & Engineering", 1st Quarter 2005, n. 38 v. 11
- Double Diamonds: New Brand for a Texas Bridge, in "Civil Engineering Magazine", April 1992, n. 4 v. 62
- Weitgespannte Brücken / Long-Span Bridges, in "Detail - Zeitschrift für Architektur + Baudetail", December 1999, n. 8 v. 39
- Personal Involvement in early US Cable-Stayed Bridges, presented at 17th IABSE Congress, Creating and Renewing Urban Structures – Tall Buildings, Bridges and Infrastructure, Chicago, September 17-19, 2008.
- Die Zwillings-Verbundschrägkabelbrücke über den Houston Ship Channel bei Baytown, Texas, in "Stahlbau", February 1997, n. 2 v. 66
- The Twin cable-stayed Baytown bridge (USA), presented at Ponts suspendus et à haubans. Cable-stayed and suspension bridges, Deauville, 12.-15.10.1994.
- 30 Bridges, Laurence King, ISBN 1856692175, 2002; pp. 100-103
- 30 Brücken, Callwey Verlag, Munich (Germany), ISBN 3766715011; pp. 100-103