Clifton Suspension Bridge
Bristol, South West England, England, United Kingdom
|Coordinates:||51° 27' 18.00" N 2° 37' 40.01" W|
|main span||214.05 m|
|total length||412 m|
|tower height||26 m|
|weight||1 500 t|
|27 August 1836||
First stone is laid in a big ceremony.
Hungerford chain suspension bridge is demolished, the chains are reused later in the construction of the Clifton bridge.
|18 December 1864||
Clifton Bridge would have been the longest-spanning bridge if it had been completed soon after it was designed, but for financial reasons it was not put into service until 1864. Brunel never saw this bridge finished, he passed away before the funding problems were resolved. An alternative design by Thomas Telford would have had the same span as the Menai Straits Bridge.
Relevant Web Sites
- Light touch in "Bridge Design & Engineering", 4th Quarter 2006, n. 45 v. 12
- Chamber of secrets in "Bridge Design & Engineering", 3rd Quarter 2003, n. 32 v. 9
- Bridges under the spotlight in UK awards in "Bridge Update", April 2007, n. 67
- Description of the Clifton Suspension Bridge in "Bridge Engineering", March 2003, n. 1 v. 156
- Great Buildings of the World: Bridges, Paul Hamlyn, New York (USA), 1969; pp. 65-75
- Clifton Suspension bridge, Moonraker Press, United Kingdom (United Kingdom), ISBN 0239001583, 1976
- Bridges, Macmillan Publishing Company, New York (USA), ISBN 002517455X, 1993; pp. 67
- L'architecture et les ingénieurs, Moniteur, Paris (France), ISBN 2281190994, 1997; pp. 134
- Faszination Brücken (1st edition), Callwey, Munich (Germany), ISBN 3766713264, 1998; pp. 162-169
- Brücken, die die Welt verbinden, Prestel, Munich (Germany), ISBN 3791327003, 2002; pp. 64-65
- Bridges that Changed the World, Prestel, Munich (Germany), ISBN 3791327011, 2002; pp. 64-65
- Bristol fashion in "Bridge Design & Engineering", 2nd Quarter 2006, n. 43 v. 12
- Large deflection analysis of Clifton suspension bridge presented at Ponts suspendus et à haubans. Cable-stayed and suspension bridges, Deauville, 12.-15.10.1994.
- A Business History of the Clifton Suspension Bridge in "Construction History", 2002 v. 18
- Les grands ponts du monde: Ponts remarquables d'Europe, Brissaud, Poitiers (France), ISBN 2902170653, 1990; pp. 268
- Le Passage (1st edition), Everest Communication, Luxembourg (Luxembourg), ISBN 287996976X, 1999; pp. 164-165
- About this
- Date created
- Last Update